Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Goodwill Hunting!

Things I didn't know::

In a random 'pop-in' on a Thursday afternoon to a local Goodwill store, I heard over the intercom some lovely news - "This week's tag color clothing is only a dollar today."  What?  

I quickly started sifting through and found 4 pairs of jeans that I tried on, and all fit!  Then I dashed about, and found 2 tops I loved.  Scampering to the men's department, 2 polo shirts for the boyfriend.  While carting past a rack, I found a pair of dress pants that just needed a little stitch to hold the fastener in place. Darting to the check out, I saw the cutest skirt for a buck and grabbed it.
Total cost: $10.

In the spirit of frugal, my shopping met some good points I try keep:
  • ESSENTIAL: The money spent was for essential items = clothing.
  • RIGHT PRICE: Aside from garage sales, I couldn't have paid less for what I got.
  • EXTRA BENEFITS: The proceeds from sale help serve people with disabilities/those facing obstacles to enter the workforce.
  • LOW-IMPACT: Items bought were used, so no new resources were used up for my purchase. 


I asked about the return policy, as I wasn't sure if the shirts would fit the Mr., and they said bring it back within 14 days with the tags attached and a receipt, and I can turn it in for store credit.  I'm glad I asked, because I made the mistake of not trying on that cute skirt and discovered it was made for more petite derriere than I possess.  Oh well.  Both shirts fit him, so my skirt will go in the car to be returned next Thursday, when I hope to find some more dress pants for a dollar to ready my work wardrobe for full time!




More Ways to Save at Goodwill Stores:
I looked up the Arizona Goodwill website, and found these other great deals that I didn't know happened -


SUNDAY
STUDENT DAY 25% OFF WITH I.D. 
TUESDAY
SENIOR DAY 25% OFF WITH I.D.
THURSDAY
DOLLAR DAYS SELECT ITEMS 
SATURDAY
EVERY OTHER SATURDAY 50% OFF STOREWIDE SALE

And, MORE deals I didn't know about:

SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER
AND RECEIVE 20% OFF COUPON EACH MONTH!
DOWNLOAD OR PRINT COUPON
FOR 5% OF $10 PURCHASE OR MORE!

A Word of Warning::

Don't touch the metal hanger racks when looking through clothes.  Your hand could look like this if you do.  (The store wasn't dirty, per se, just the racks are never emptied to be cleaned.)

The fix: simply push together the clothes to create a little space in the section you are looking at, then use a walking motion with your first and second fingers to gently flip through each piece of clothing, looking at the front of each article of clothing for tag color/appearance.




Store Locations::
Locating stores can be done by going the Goodwill website store locator, and typing in your zipcode.

For anyone in the Mesa area, I printed this card for myself of stores within 15 miles to keep in the wallet, for when I am around town and want a less-guilty shopping excursion.  It should print out to credit card size.




What's the best deal you found at a your favorite Goodwill or Thrift shop?

No comments:

Post a Comment